Three Questions and Answers about My Memorial Walks

 

Welcome to my blog, whether you somehow got here directly or followed a message and link like the following:.


THE FIRST MEMORIAL MARATHON WALK

THE START, THE THREE LOOPS, AND THE FINISH

OF THE MEMORIAL MARATHON WALK

SCHEDULED FOR FEBRUARY 27, 2021, LORD WILLING


You may or may not have seen this personal tidbit about my getting ready to go out on my weekly, longer memorial walk, usually done now on Saturdays,

“My weekly long walk planned for February 27, 2021 ended up being a literal marathon, taking place from 4:59 a.m.- 12:43 p.m. on that day. I woke up early, which means “before 4 a.m.,” and I could not go back to sleep. For that reason, I got up, did my first early morning routine chores, got ready for my long walk, and got an early start.”

Before I continue with my more specific “Memorial Marathon Walk” notes from February 27, let's briefly consider the answers to three related questions.

First, what does a memorial walk mean to me?

A normal memorial walk is my proactive, planned opportunity (often around two hours three or four times a week) that I have set aside to get some good exercise for my heart while I honor, think about, reflect on, and remember my friends who have died in the last year.

Second, what do I do on a memorial walk?

During a “memorial walk” I walk and reflect, recall, and focus on several things: (1) on my departed friends and what I have learned personally from them, (2) on my gratitude to God for their lives and the positive influence that they have had on my life and the life of others, (3) on my prayers for those loved ones and family members who remain behind, and (4) on my own life. At any given moment during a “memorial walk,” I may think, feel, sing, cry, thank God, and reflect on many things that come to my heart, especially things related to my friends who died this last “year.” It is my time to go beyond just thinking that it would be a nice thing to do some time, kind of like a wishful “New Year´s Resolution” that never takes place.

Third, what is my weekly, longer memorial walk?

My weekly, longer memorial walk is a memorial walk that requires more preparation and more actual time walking than a “normal” memorial walk. My memorial walk on February 27 was a longer walk that ended up being a marathon.

Many of us need to get involved physically in some kind of careful activity and reflection. Maybe this is the year for you to carefully select and participate in one. I have chosen the “sport” of “informal, unofficial memorial walking,” with the long range goal of being able to walk at least one memorial marathon this year. I know other people who get up early to walk, to climb the hills around here or to go on a nearby nature walk to get their exercise. What kind of physical activity and reflection are you doing?

Next time: The Start of the Memorial Walk Scheduled for February 27, 2021.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Challenge Faced (Hound Hike 100) in April 2022

Seventh Challenge Overcome ("Ukraine Relief Challenge") and Seventh Digital Insignia Earned in March 2022